bloom and grow forever

I'm sure the Baroness will be able to make things fine for you. If not, a year in Russia sure will.

Friday, October 06, 2006

the concept of need with passive infinitives and gerunds



I realize that I haven't written much about teaching, probably because I finish, exhausted, at nine at night. But since I'm starting to feel like there's nothing I can't handle (if I can use both Russian and English), I've been able to think more clearly about what I'm doing in the classroom and to slow down and enjoy my students' company. They really are extremely cool, and I've been finishing class very satisfied. Time management is working well, and all but a very few students passed my most recent quiz. Grading is getting more efficient, probably because it is my least favorite activity. (Aside from, perhaps, using the painfully-squeaky guillotine-style paper cutter.) Yesterday was Teachers' Day, so I got this awesome bouquet and some chocolate. What a great holiday.

Recently I've given three presentations to various local audiences about college in America, and the nostalgia has hit me hard. I was thinking about our trip to New Orleans (and all our experiences at the post-apocalyptic commune for social justice) when we met a guy named Vassili who'd come to Vladimir to perform his fire show in Pushkin Park. I felt like I was back there with all y'all again, except this time I was the one beating out a rhythm on the water jug.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home